Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Today has been a special day! We've been able to celebrate Father's Day and our first "anniversary" at this church. It's hard to believe that one year ago, Brad gave his first sermon as the senior pastor of this church! We are blessed beyond measure to be at this church, and we enjoy serving here.
And Father's Day....I remember when we brought Anna Claire home from the hospital and Brad looked at me and said, "I don't know what to do. I don't have any experience with babies!" If you have seen Brad since having Anna Claire, you have seen that he knows exactly what to do! He has fallen into the "dad" role very naturally and loves every minute of it!
When I think of my dad, the first thing that comes to mind is a quote we often heard him say at Boy Scout Eagle ceremonies (and if you know my family, you know we've been to a few!) when giving the "Dad" pin to the father of the Eagle Scout. He would always say, "Any man can be a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad." My sister and I usually give Dad a hard time about this...but truth be told, this quote could not be more accurate when describing my dad. I'm blessed to call him "Dad".
We had an "ugliest tie contest" at church to celebrate Father's Day, and we have some creative men in our church! Posted below are the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
3rd Place: Our youth leader, Rick, is a huge (that might be an understatement) LSU fan. He called me this week to ask if he could borrow one of Brad's OU ties. Now, while Brad loves his OU ties and wears them proudly, Rick had something else in mind.
2nd Place: Paul has been at our church for about a year. He has a great sense of humor, and apparently he found this tie in a box of old ties used to teach local Boy Scouts how to tie a necktie (his wife helps with the Scouts in the area). This one was pretty ugly.
1st Place: David is a funny man! He made his own tie by taking pictures of Brad's face and drawing on them and then adding them to his tie with huge artificial flowers. His tie also played music! Greatness.

1 comment:

JIM said...

IT IS EASY TO SEE THAT YOU HAVE A GREAT AND LOVING CHURCH!! HARD TO BELIEVE A YEAR HAS PASSED. WE MISS YOU GUY'S IN HOUSTON! HAPPY FATHERS DAY BRAD! JIM